Villychart

No 1 ENTERTAINMENT, MUSIC NEWS AND SPORTS BLOG.

Friday 11 August 2017

Diplo Speaks About Disc Jockeying In Nigeria


DJ, Diplo, spent some time in Nigeria earlier this year where he met some of the nation's hottest artists and also took the time to collaborate with African artists such as Wizkid, Nasty C and DJ Maphorisa.


In a recent interview with GQ Magazine, the Major Lazer DJ spoke about what it's like to take his profession to Nigeria and from what he can tell, it's a cut-throat industry. He spoke about his show in the country and how it nearly went downhill:

" It was a weird kind of success.  I was headlining this outdoor festival in Lagos that happens every year, but there was a crazy thunderstorm. We didn't start until 2 A.M. It turns out the sound had blown out, but nobody told me. So I start my set and I was playing records and, like, dancing. I look up and there are all these Nigerian faces just staring at me.
 I had to banter onstage for half an hour [while they fixed the sound]. By then there were probably 500 people left. But I was just like, You know what? It's 3 A.M. and there's a thunderstorm in Nigeria. What do I have to lose? It was one of the hardest moments of my career. I said to [Major Lazer MC] Walshy Fire, Man, Nigeria is where you either live or die as a DJ. This is like the DJ Olympics."

He also spoke about the influence that Nigerian music is having on the world:

" Nigerians live everywhere: England, L.A., New York. Nigerians have had a huge impact on music in the last ten years. Like the UK funky stuff that ended up becoming "One Dance" by Drake. And then, over the last three or four years, Nigerians have been taking over with this new Afro-pop movement."

Article culled from Mtvbaseafrica.com

No comments:

Post a Comment